This is what the GR”A – the VILNA GAON, the leading opponent of Chassidus in his time (1720-1797), writes about Moshiach (Sefer Kol HaTor, Ch. 2 par. 75, Ch. 2:2, 4:1), check marks indicate how this matches up to the Rebbe.
- Moshiach Ben Yosef will teach Pnimiyus HaTorah (essential Torah secrets, i.e. chassidus). √
- Moshiach will reach out to non-Jews (7 Laws of Bnei Noach). √
- Moshiach will begin the preparations for the Redemption. √
- Moshiach will be hidden before he completes the process (3 Tammuz). √
- At that point, a period of darkness and confusion will ensue. √
- The nations, particularly Yishmael, will intensify their false claims against Eretz Yisroel and Jerusalem in particular. √
Moshiach Ben David and Moshiach Ben Yosef are NOT two separate Moshiachs at all. According to such notables as Rav Chaim Vital, Moshiach ben David and Moshiach ben Yosef are terms that represent different aspects of one and the same individual. (Sefer Chizyonos p. 106). We are left with the following scenario: One Moshiach will arise to prepare the world for redemption for forty years after which he will die, only to return in resurrection to complete the job.